Session 5: Invasive Species and Volunteer Leadership
Kitty McKracken, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (45 Minutes)
Stephen Piers, Four Aims Forestry, LLC (45Minutes)
Tom Welborn, Trees Knoxville (30 Minutes)
Leadership Activity- 1 Hour
1. Understand basic invasive species terminology and know why plants are native, exotic, invasive, and naturalized.
2. Know the environmental, social, and economic consequences to invasive plant invasions.
3. Be introduced to invasive plant and restoration ecology principals and the characteristics that make invasive plants successful and hard to control.
4. Learn about invasive plant solutions from the national, state, and local levels and who the players are.
5. Recognize invasive plants impacting Knoxville’s urban forest.
6. Understand Different Methods (Chemical, Mechanical, Cultural, and Biological) for controlling invasive species
7. Understand basic chemicals and applications that target specific species.
8. Proper PPE and Equipment for applying herbicides
9. Leading volunteers and putting it all together
10. Expectations for Volunteer Leaders (Safety and Education)