Session 4: Tree Health: Diagnostics, Disease, Insects, and Soil
David Vandergriff, University of Tennessee Extension (1 Hour)
David Dunn, Cortese Tree Specialist (1 Hour)
Campus Walk Identifying Hazards and Pest Issues (1 Hour)
1. Understand and recognize the difference between stressed and healthy trees.
2. Understand basic diagnostic procedures.
3. Define primary and secondary problems.
4. Recognize a hazard tree.
5. Become familiar with common pests and diseases, their identification, and control.
6. Understand basic soil properties and how urban trees react to different conditions.
7. Know when to fertilize and amend sites
8. Become familiar with local resources and services that support citizen tree care.