Session 1: Introduction to Trees Knoxville & Knoxville’s Urban Forest
- Tom Wellborn, Trees Knoxville (1 Hour)
- Michael McKinney, University of Tennessee (30 Minutes)
- Outdoor Activity (1 hour)
- Kasey Krouse, City of Knoxville Urban Forester (30 Minutes)
- Outdoor walk with speakers (1 Hour)
1. Become familiar with Trees Knoxville’s mission and programs (Ice Breaker)
2. Comprehend the ecological/geographical elements of East Tennessee and what makes it unique.
3. Understand climatic patterns and variations to better plant and care for trees.
4. Recognize the trees, soils, land features and wildlife of East Tennessee.
5. Better associate and identify Knoxville’s natural communities and dominant trees.
6. Define native species and know the value and importance of biological diversity.
7. Understand the diverse values (goods & services) of trees and the urban forest including the environmental, social, and economic values.
8. Understand Knoxville’s Canopy Cover at the County, City, and Neighborhood level
9. Understand the major threats of Knoxville’s and Knox County urban forest.